On the 22nd July 2013 UNICO was towed by HORTON from Gravesend to Red 7’s yard at Northfleet to be broken up. In just 4 days this once historic tug was gone forever.
Built in 1927 by J.S. Watson (Gainsborough) Ltd , amazingly UNICO only ever served with 2 owners for her entire working career. She was delivered to UNION LIGHTERAGE in 1927 and stayed with them until being passed onto PALMER MARINE in 1971.
Below is a brief history in photographs of this fine little tug:
Seen here in 1989 – Photo Brian Fisher
It appears in many more recent colour photos of UNICO , her hull had not be repainted for quite some time. Her bulwarks and casing was always very tidy however.
Photo: John White
Seen here at Denton in 2006 , again always kept very tidy above the bulwarks
In Nov 2009 , UNICO helped tow QUEEN MARY
After being laid up in 2012 , UNICO’s began to get in a tatty state on her moorings at Gravesend. In April 2013 her wheelhouse was removed and fitted to LADY KITTY as seen in the below photo by Ken Smith
On July 22nd 2013 UNICO was towed by HORTON to Red 7’s yard to be broken up….
(photo : John White)
Another piece of lighterage history lost forever